Do not put hazardous waste (e.g. paint, batteries, oil) into general household or business waste bins or bags as this can cause significant danger to waste collection staff. It is also extremely hazardous to the environment. Once in landfill, it can leak through soils and contaminate groundwater, affecting the food chain.
- Tasman District and Nelson residents can use the drop off service at the Nelson City Council Transfer Station for safe disposal of household hazardous waste. There is a nominal charge for this service (free up to 2kg). Tasman District residents must complete relevant documentation before taking it to the Transfer Station – click here for the relevant form or contact a TDC regional office.
- alternative arrangements are in place for Golden Bay residents. Please contact the TDC Golden Bay Office in Takaka for details – (03) 525 0020
- hazardous wastes that are not accepted at the Transfer Station are: commercial hazardous waste; demolition wastes (such as asbestos); agricultural and horticultural hazardous waste; explosives; fumigants.
- collection services can be provided by Envirowaste, JBL Environmental Ltd, and Nelson Marlborough Waste
- see Agricultural/Farm Chemicals for information about what to do with agricultural chemicals
EnviroWaste, 42 Quarantine Road, Annesbrook Ph: (03) 547 3389
JBL Environmental Ltd, Blenheim Ph: (03) 578 9622
Nelson Marlborough Waste, Richmond Ph: 0800 725 326